One of the more spacious superminis available today, the Hyundai i20 is in direct competition with a number of great cars in a very popular and fast growing segment of the vehicle market. These include the Vauxhall Corsa, Ford Fiesta and Volkswagen Polo. Hyundai enthusiasts will be happy to hear that the i20 is a vast improved car when compared to previous models.
Attractive on the outside – more so than in previous models – clean lines, impressive grille and new accents on the headlamps make for a smarter looking Hyundai than before. The i20 is longer, also wider and sits lower to the ground.
One of the more spacious cars in its class, it now also starts competing with rivals for interior design. Better than previous models as far as dashboard design goes, the i20 now also comes with practical upholstery and soft leather for the steering wheel. All trims have access to the minimum features in terms of infotainment, air-con and automatic headlights.
- There are seven engines in total to choose from, 5 of them petrol and the other 2 diesel. The 1.2-litre petrol for instance offers 2 options, one with 74 bhp and the other with 84 bhp. As for the diesel options you have a choice between a 74 bhp 1.1-litre three-cylinder version and an 89 bhp 1.4-litre four-cylinder. The most powerful engine is the 118 bhp version of the 1.0-litre turbocharged T-GDi.
- It is probably not the fastest car around. To accelerate from 0 – 62 mph in 13.1 seconds does not exactly roll up the track. The Polo in the same class, for instance, does it in 10.8 seconds.
- Four trim levels to suit the individual’s taste: S, SE, Premium and Premium S.
- Depending on the trim you prefer, you can upgrade a number of features that will offer varying levels of comfort and access to technology. Those with Sat-Nav., for instance, come with infotainment systems that have DAB radio and rear parking cameras.
- Transmission is manual. The petrol version has a five-speed and the diesel a six-speed transmission.
- Boot space is 326 litres, which makes it fairly large in its class. Three adults fit in the back fairly comfortably.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty and quite a number of safety features.
For the cheapest trim you can expect to pay around £10,000 and so with a reasonable deposit (find out how much your car is worth from www.thecarbuyinggroup.co.uk), the i20 is very affordable.